Friday, June 27, 2008

Place of the Past

I just went back to my secondary school to take my real SPM certificate. It’s like making a journey back to a past filled with many sweet and bitter memories as well.


What I was eager was to meet my teachers more than anything else. Among all teachers who taught me, I can remember is 2 of them who I really appreciate. So I was really hoping to meet them.


As I enter the staff room, I asked a teacher “ is Puan Norhafiza in?” She pointed to the women sitting beside her, my head turned towards her. It was her! Puan Norhafiza, my Biology teacher! She stood up and head towards me. I was happy to see her, and she too was happy that I still remember her. I never had the chance to tell her that she was indeed the best teacher during my secondary years. I remember that she somehow wanted us to set our target high, what she did to help us really motivated me.


She said “wah, I’m glad you still remember me ah!”

I said “Of course teacher! You are the best teacher I ever had!”

With a big smile she said “Thank You.”


And as usual they would ask what I am studying now. She taught I was Jed as I told her that I was doing design course and that my brother was doing engineering. As our conversation went on, she found out that I was the other twin! The serious one! Lol… not the playful one. She was shock that my bro actually went into engineering judging from his attitude. Well, we both just studied the opposite. Me who is a serious, more science inclined studying mind is taking an art course, where else my bro who is a playful/ can’t study much guy is taking the engineering course. So people who can’t differentiate us would always mistaken us with each other.


So we chatted for a while and I was satisfied that after a year plus, I finally get to meet her again, but my mission is not done yet. There is still one more! So I asked “where’s Puan Ng?”


She told me that Pn Ng has recently found out that she has got breast cancer. Quite serious and will be entitled to 2 years of medical leave. My heart just sank! What shocking news to hear. Pn. Ng apparently told other teachers not to visit her but only one of the teachers has seen her a few weeks ago since her absence.


I met up with my friends again after a little while more of chat with my beloved teacher. I just felt that I have to contact Pn. Ng to say hi as that’s what I came to do. I later got her hand phone number and went home to contact her.


I could feel the sadness in her voice. She was at a book store looking for books on cancer. At least I know she’s fighting it! She was pregnant with a son when I was in form 4, and now he’s 3 plus already. Somehow I don’t know why I just felt the sense of closeness to her over the years in secondary. I could feel that she dint wanted people to pity her. I hope I wasn't coming across that way, I just wanted to let her know that I haven't forgotten her.


But on the phone, it seems like she’s different now. I kept the conversation short as my questions towards her was done, she dint asked much about me, probably many things on her mind.


As I put down the phone, it feels awkward, sad…


God all mighty help her…


Hope I’ll bum into her and get to see her and speak to her again one fine day. Both of them…


.

No comments: