Friday, July 4, 2008

Design Woes

Never would I imagine that design would be so tough!


Here’s the scenario:


There’s a product design competition with the theme safety. My classmates and I are entering this competition and this will be also be our one and only assignment for our Industrial subject for this sem.


Who to impress?


Judges?


Subject lecturer?


Public?


Well, we have to impress all! And they all have different opinion of what would be a good design. So what the judges see is brilliant does mean it’ll be useful or even good in design terms to the public and likewise. What one of our lecturers wants is us to create something to catch the eye of the judges and that everyone can relate to. This means that the judges also care more on the outer look and design, and function second, which totally goes against the principal of industrial design – form follow function.


So how do we go about this?


I’m about 70% done with my assignment, and I just got the “people can’t relate to” opinion from one of them. I can’t turn back now. One of my friend, RACH! always told me that you got to filter what people say and judge yourself what is best. I’ve got to do some thinking of my own on to which is the best way to go about this. So I’ve got to take in all the advice given and make it work! I can’t let all these opinion ruin my motivation to complete this. I’ve got to believe in my own product, believe in its concept, believe in the innovativeness it brings and work it out! Yes, Work it out! Hmm.. I feel motivated now! Got to continue my sketches...




.

No comments: